logo for pulau-pangkor.com

Procedures to get married in Malaysia

There are 2 types of marriage: Civil and Muslim. Civil marriage is for the non-Muslims and obviously the Muslim marriage is for the Muslims.

The procedure to get married in Malaysia is quite simple.

You have a choice of three (3) different procedures to getting married. All three (3) have the same legal effect.

  • Marriage at the office of the Registrar of Marriages
  • Marriage through a religious ceremony, custom or usage such as a temple or church where the temple/church official is an appointed Assistant Registrar ; or
  • Marriage by special licence from the Chief Minister

Marriage at the Registrar's Office

  • Both of you must give notice of marriage in the prescribed form to the Registrar of Marriage of your marriage district in which you have been resident at least seven (7) days before the giving of such notice.
  • The Registrar will put it up on the notice board of the Registry until he/she grants his/her certificate for marriage or until three (3) months have elapsed, whichever is earlier.
  • If both of you have been residents for the required period in the same marriage district, only one such notice is required.
  • Both of you must also sign a written declaration in the prescribed form stating that you have complied with all the requirements and that there are no legal obstacles.
  • When the notice has been on the board for at least twenty-one (21) days, the Registrar shall, upon payment to him/her of the prescribed fee, issue his/her certificate of marriage.
  • You must then make a date for the marriage to be solemnized by the Registrar. This has to take place within six (6) months from the date of the notice.
  • If the marriage does not take place within the specified period, a fresh notice has to be given.
  • After the marriage at the Registry, you will be legally married.
  • You may go through a customary ceremony if you wish but you are required to produce your certificate of marriage to the person officiating the ceremony.

Marriage through a religious ceremony

  • You may have your marriage solemnized in accordance with your religion, custom or usage by your clergyman, minister or priest. The clergyman, minister, priest or person solemnizing your marriage must have duly been appointed Assistant Registrar of Marriages and has the power to conduct marriages.
  • Before the marriage is solemnized, you must deliver to the Assistant Registrar of Marriages the prescribed statutory declaration signed by both of you saying that you have complied with all the requirements and that there are no legal obstacles.

Marriage by licence

  • If you are a female between sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) years of age, OR you wish to have your marriage solemnized at a place other than the office of a Registrar OR at some other time than the prescribed time, then you must get a special marriage licence from the Chief Minister for such purpose.
  • In such a case, you do not have to give notice or obtain a certificate of marriage but you have to produce a statutory declaration that all requirements have been complied with and that there are no legal obstacles to the marriage.
  • The licence is valid for only one (1) month and you must get married within the period.

Generally, the documents you need are:

  • Passports accompanied with a photocopy of the data page and date of latest entry page into Malaysia.
  • One colored Malaysian passport size photograph.
  • Application form "Borang JPN KCO1" for normal or special marriage.
  • Affidavit of marital status.
  • Application form "Borang G" for marriages performed by parish or temple priests.
  • If previous marriages were terminated by divorce, both parties must submit original or certified copy of final or absolute divorce decree. If terminated by death of a spouse,submit original or certified copy of the death and marriage certificates.

"Borang JPN KCO1" and "Borang G" are available at the office of the registrar of marriages.

You must stay in the country for 7 days before you can give your 21-day notice of intention of a marriage. You have to get married within 6 months after you have given your notice of intention IF there is no objection by any parties.

I am sure you would like to know how much will a marriage in Malaysia costs you. The normal civil marriage costs RM 30 and you pay at the time of marriage ceremony.

If you do not intend to have another marriage ceremony back home, then I would advise you to get the marriage certificate validated by the Foreign Affairs Malaysia and your embassies before you left Malaysia. This will make life so much easier when you want to get it recognized by your country.

If you have anymore doubts, you can contact :

The Registrar of Marriages
Malaysia National Registration Department
46551 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Telephone: (03) 7955-1255 – Marriage Department
Fax: (03) 7955-1608.
Kuala Lumpur Office: (03) 2692-5018

You should also double check with your embassies to avoid any misunderstanding.

If you are thinking about getting married in Malaysia, Pangkor is a good option.

Back to the top

Have a look at the wedding pages

Back to the homepage

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read!
Leave me a comment (in English please) in the box below.
Please don't ask for a "quotation", those comments will be deleted.

Author Peter van der Lans | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact us | Sitemap

Custom Search

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

footer for Pulau Pangkor page


See 10-Day Forecast
© HotelsCombined.com

Malay Wedding

A Malay wedding at the Nipah Bay Villa in Pulau Pangkor, have a look at photos and video of this great event in the last week of August 2007

The Malay wedding, day 1 in Kedah

The second day in Pangkor

Malay wedding

More photos of the Malay wedding in Pangkor

More photos of the Malay wedding in Guar Chempedak, Kedah

Chinese Wedding

Have you ever attended a Chinese Wedding in Malaysia? If not, have a look at the wedding of Mr. Ong Kok Lam and Miss Goh Huey Ching who got married on the 27th November 2005.

Click here to see a Chinese wedding

and more photos

Chinese wedding in Kuala Kurau

Indian Wedding

Have a look how an Indian wedding in Malaysia looks like. If you do not have intentions to get married yourself you may be lucky to get a glimpse of a great and colorful

Indian wedding

and more photos

indian wedding